Indira Gandhi National Open University, which is popularly known as IGNOU, has been ranked among the best distance open universities in India. Every year, scores of students across the country would seek their admissions to any of the courses conducted by the University.
About the University
IGNOU came into being in the year 1985 through an act of Parliament with the purpose of spreading knowledge among the young aspirants of India. Since then, it has been successfully fulfilling the educational aspirations of the students by imparting undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate level programmes in various fields of study.
Today, the University has marked a significant place in the field of higher education, community education and professional development of the students of India. Therefore, it has been very dedicated in providing quality teaching, training, research and co-curricular activities. To accomplish all its goals, IGNOU has created a number of centers across the country such as Centre for Extension Education, National Centre for Disability Studies and National Centre for Innovation in Distance Education.
Schools of Study
Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) imparts educational programs to the students through its several schools of study. These are enlisted below:
- School of Agriculture (SOA)
- School of Computer and Information Sciences (SOCIS)
- School of Continuing Education (SOCE)
- School of Education (SOE)
- School of Engineering & Technology (SOET)
- School of Extension and Development Studies (SOEDS)
- School of Foreign Languages (SOFL)
- School of Gender and Development Studies (SOGDS)
- School of Health Sciences (SOHS)
- School of Humanities (SOH)
- School of Inter-Disciplinary and Trans-Disciplinary Studies (SOITS)
- School of Journalism and New Media Studies (SOJNMS)
- School of Law (SOL)
- School of Management Studies (SOMS)
- School of Performing and Visual Arts (SOPVA)
- School of Sciences (SOS)
- School of Social Sciences (SOSS)
- School of Social Work (SOSW)
- School of Tourism and Hospitality Service Sectoral Management (SOTHSSM)
- School of Translation Studies and Training (SOTST)
- School of Vocational Education and Training (SOVET)
IGNOU, located in New Delhi, has been ranked as the world’s largest university. It teaches a number of educational programmes through its several study centers, regional centers and sub-regional centers. The University imparts courses through the modes of regular, online and distance learning. Various disciplines like architecture, arts, medical science, design and embedded system, civil engineering, computer applications, commerce, retailing, corporate affairs and administration, international hospitality administration, aerospace engineering, education, animation and visual effects, international hospitality administration and many more.
All these and other courses of the University can be pursued by the students at various levels such as bachelor level, master level, certificate level, diploma level, post graduate and advance diploma level, post graduate and advance certificate level, doctoral level, non-credit programmes and appreciation programmes.
IGNOU has been committed for the overall personality development of its students. Hence, it provides these facilities within its campuses and study centers:
- Placement Cell
- Online Classrooms
- Lecture Halls
- Computer Lab
Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)
New Delhi - 110068